Gov. Scott approves tax-free hurricane shopping week May 31 – June 8

listIt’s Time for Floridians to Get

Ready For Hurricane Season.

Hurricane Supplies Are Tax Free Starting May 31

Gov. Scott approves tax-free hurricane shopping week

May 31 – June 8

Florida Governor Rick Scott has approved a tax free break for all Florida residents to purchase hurricane supplies items without being subject to the 6% state sales tax.

Starting May 31 and ending June 8, Floridians can buy hurricane-related supplies which include the following:

  • Batteries (priced $30 or less)
  • Flashlights ($20)
  • Light sources: Standing self-powered, portable units ($20)
  • Tarps ($50)
  • Weather radios ($50)
  • First-aid kids ($40)
  • Fuel Tanks: Both gas and diesel models ($25)
  • Coolers: Non-electric food storage containers ($30)
  • Generators ($750)
  • And more.

Your Homeowner’s Insurance

Did you know that 40% of hurricanes that reach the United States hit Florida? Basic homeowners policies do, however, typically pay for damage caused by winds — including broken windows, torn roofs and any interior damage from water falling into the home.

Most basic homeowner policies will have at least some hurricane coverage included, though you’ll need to check into exactly what that covers. Many times it only covers damage done by the wind from the storms, not the rain or flooding that come with them. In cases like these, you’ll not only need a basic policy but flood insurance as well to provide comprehensive coverage to your home and property. Policies covering any kind of hurricane damage probably won’t be cheap anywhere in Florida, as it’s the state that’s hit the hardest by hurricanes.

It is important to talk with your insurance agent to find out what your policy covers.

Let us look into various coverage in detail:

Dwelling Coverage: This refers to the structure you are living in. It could be an apartment, condo, modular home, an independent house or any other related structure. Dwelling coverage is the amount offered by the Florida insurance agent to rebuild or repair the house. This covers only the structure and nothing more than that. You can use this coverage to rebuild, make changes or upgrade your home.

Personal Property Coverage: Personal property can be anything ranging from the home appliances to your personal jewelry or clothing. Mostly the agents offer 50% to 70% of the dwelling coverage as the personal property coverage. When you choose to opt for this coverage it is advisable to draft an inventory consisting of all the important belongings in the house. This would help you during any future claims. You can even take photographs of the belongings or shoot video and store it in a safe place. This inventory will help you to get a clear idea of the value of those items.

Other Structure: When the insurance agent says that other structures are also covered, it could mean any other part other than the main house. It could be anything like a car shed, stable, barn or anything else within the premises. The companies usually offer 10% of the dwelling coverage as the claim. If you want this amount to be more, you will have to pay higher premiums.

Additional Expenses Coverage: When your house is damaged due to a fire, explosion, flood or for any other reason becomes un-liveable, you might have to stay for a few days or weeks in a hotel. So, who is going to bear the cost for it? The insurance agents, of course. You get about 20% of the dwelling coverage as additional expenses coverage.

Besides these the personal liabilities and other coverage protect you from injuries occurred to you and others due to your home. If any accident happens you must immediately file a claim with the insurance company to cover the damage. The company visits and evaluates the loss and determines the value you get. To stay covered you must renew your policy and pay the premiums regularly. This not only ensures a long life to your property but also lessens your burden and gives you peace of mind.

Now that you know the reason why you should chose for homeowners insurance, call the representatives or drop an e-mail requesting a free quote. You may even request the representative to visit your home for a deeper analysis before looking into the clauses and the policies.

If you are a victim of a hurricane there are after storm supplies you will need on hand. 

During and after a hurricane, you may need supplies to keep your family safe and healthy. Remember that a hurricane could cut off your power and water supply. You also may not be able to drive because of damage to your car. Roads may be flooded or blocked.

That’s why it’s best to be prepared — stock up on everything you might need now. Here’s a checklist of what you need:

  • Clean containers for water
  • At least 5 gallons of water per person (which should be enough to last 3 to 5 days)
  • A 3 to 5 day supply of food that doesn’t go bad (like canned food)
  • Baby food or formula
  • Prescription medicines

Here is a comprehensive list of supplies provided my My News 13

Speak Your Mind